Happy Birthday, Mallory

Well, my baby is 3 today. I can not believe that 3 years have come and gone since that early early morning, when she chose to make her appearance. Mallory came 6 weeks early, and the weeks following her birth taught me many things. The most important being to give up control. I, contrary to what I have always believed, can not control the world. (My best friends and family, are cracking up at that statement.....)


We learned early that Mallory was going to do her own thing, and today, three years later, we are still just letting her "do her own thing" because that is almost the only way to handle her. She is steadfast and strong, and can be unwaivering. All traits you admire in grown ups, but anguish over on toddlers.


However, ten years from now, I still hope I have that fighter, who came home from the hospital after only 13 days, when they told me to prepare for 6 weeks. I still hope I have that dreamer, who tells me: "I will be a ballerina in pink tights!" I hope I have that individual who boldly announces her princess pull up when her friends are showing their princess big girl panties. I still hope I have this child that proudly proclaims her differences, rather than giving into the pressure of others. I hope she proudly wears whatever difference of opinions she has on her sleeve, and still gives that "who cares" attitude to those that choose to belittle her choices. While we are finding these traits difficult to manage on a regular day, my prayer for her is that these are the traits that carry her through those hard times in life and that she comes out stronger on the other side, much like all of the women in my family. I can only pray that I have done a good job, teaching her how to be strong and kind..like my mother taught me, and my grandmother taught us all.


We Love you MallyGirl!





ps: she does however, have the big girl panties, now!!!!!

Mallory, 18 mnts, at my grandmothers.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

She is SOO cute! I got to meet Mallory and Zachary on Halloween! My daughter was the chicken. I am Sherri Weather's roomamte from college! "I am not a ballerina with a jacket on!" Direct quote..I hope she has a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Dionna Walker, Hutton Scholar said...

I remember when she was crawling around at Julie's sip and see. Now, she is walking and "wearing her big girl panties!" How time flies! And she gets more beautiful by the day.......Love u!